Feel free to stay an extra day in Kiev and see a totally lovely East European capital city. Ukraine is a visa free country for the EU and extremely good value. Most on the standard tour fly out Saturday and back on Tuesday, but feel free to stretch things either way.
Is it safe? In a word: Yes. Radiation levels are actually below those on the flight to Kiev and your guide will have his own Geiger counter, but do bring your own and the roadbook will explain the best ones and the price ranges. It is possible to see hotter areas if you wish but again, doses are within safe limits. The trip is not open to those under 18. We also require all travellers to wear long sleeve shirts and long trousers while in the zone.
The 2 day tour includes:
- All transport from Kiev to Chernobyl and around the zone in a minibus: far better than the usual huge coach.
- English speaking guide.
- A night at the Slavutich Hilton (sic) where the beer is almost free.
- Breakfasts lunches and supper in the zone, lunches at the Nuclear Power Plant canteen.
- Tour of Pripyat, Duga 3, Reactor 3 and the sarcophagus
- Your flight to Kiev
- Airport transfers (about 2 Euros on the airport bus)
- Your accommodation in Kiev. We suggest the bizzare Hotel Salyut from where your trip will begin.
Dates are as mentioned earlier. Price is £375 for the 2 day tour. This is the best tour you can book with small numbers, access to reactor 3 which is in run down, and food and accommodation. If I deleted reactor 3 tour, it would be cheaper but worth the extra cost in my opinion.
Schedule: You fly to Kiev Borispol on the Saturday and get the airbus into town and a metro to Hotel Salyut (or Salute: I prefer the first name). We will provide you with a roadbook with full information nearer the time.
On Sunday the minibus will pick you up at 8.30am and from now on til Monday night, all your meals and accommodation are covered in the fee. The schedule will vary and the choice of sites in the zone is up to you, but all will want to visit a reactor in run down and reactor 4, and Pripyat. Then the Duga 3 radar facility. Hotel in Slavutich on Sunday night and Monday eve return to Hotel Salyut. Fly Tuesday or whenever you like. No visas required for EU and UK citizens. If Hotel Salyut is full, then Hotel Kiev the next best.
Each tour is for a 14 seat minibus. If we fill the bus, and have more interest, we will try to fill another. Unfortunately it is not cost effective to run a part full bus.
Once you have sent your form, and the fee, and received a confirmation from us you have a place, then book your flights.
2021 bookings (we are aiming to run 2 trips: September, & October)
- Tim Anderson/Victoria Holloway
- Mike & Annetta Barrow
- Sam Bunce
- Neil Campbell
- Ed/Nick Combes
- Miles & Jeremy Colbeck
- David Chudleigh plus 1
- Sarah Curtis
- Paul Cable & Roger Markham
- Alan Cartright plus Charlotte
- Chris Davies
- Rob Deeley plus Peter Shaw: deposit paid.
- Mick & Catherine Elsey (old hands trip)
- Stephanie Goffe / Alexander Goffe / Karl Gimblett / Julie Gimblett /
- Chris Gulliver
- Craig Holdstock
- Darren Lewis / Laura Williams
- Fergus McVey plus 1
- Kevin Noble / Peter Noble / Ray Webb,
- Harry Nowill
- David Noakes +3
- Brooke Nichols & Jason Aldridge
- Russell McCleave and spouse
- Jenny McDougall / Gregory McDougall
- Russell Pember
- Stephanie Sears
- Martin Stuffins
- Angela Richter & Peter Shields
- Gemma & Adam Taylor
- Henry Tenby
- Stephanie Wainwright,
- Nick Williams(Sept1920)
- Angela and Paul Whenman
- Click here for the Chernobyl Challenge Application Form