Feel free to stay an extra day in Kiev and see a totally lovely East European capital city. Ukraine is a visa free country for the EU and extremely good value. Most fly out Saturday and back on Tuesday, but feel free to stretch things either way.
Is it safe? In a word: Yes. Radiation levels are actually below those on the flight to Kiev and your guide will have his own Geiger counter, but do bring your own and the roadbook will explain the best ones and the price ranges. It is possible to see hotter areas if you wish but again, doses are within safe limits. The trip is not open to those under 18. We also require all travellers to wear long sleeve shirts and long trousers while in the zone.
The 2 day tour includes:
- All transport from Kiev to Chernobyl and around the zone in a minibus: far better than the usual huge coach.
- English speaking guide.
- A night at the Slavutich Hilton (sic) where the beer is almost free.
- Breakfasts lunches and supper in the zone, lunches at the Nuclear Power Plant canteen.
- Tour of Pripyat, Duga 3, Reactor 3 and the sarcophagus
- Your flight to Kiev
- Airport transfers (about 2 Euros on the airport bus)
- Your accommodation in Kiev. We suggest the bizzare Hotel Salyut from where your trip will begin.
Dates are as mentioned earlier. Price is £350. This is the best tour you can book with small numbers, access to reactor 3 which is in run down, and food and accommodation. If I deleted reactor 3 tour, it would be cheaper but worth the extra cost in my opinion.
Schedule: You fly to Kiev Borispol on the Saturday and get the airbus into town and a metro to Hotel Salyut (or Salute: I prefer the first name). We will provide you with a roadbook with full information nearer the time.
On Sunday the minibus will pick you up at 8.30am and from now on til Monday night, all your meals and accommodation are covered in the fee. The schedule will vary and the choice of sites in the zone is up to you, but all will want to visit a reactor in run down and reactor 4, and Pripyat. Then the Duga 3 radar facility. Hotel in Slavutich on Sunday night and Monday eve return to Hotel Salyut. Fly Tuesday or whenever you like. No visas needed for EU citizens. If Hotel Salyut is full, then Hotel Kiev the next best.
NOTE: for our 2021 trips, fill in the form and email but send no money for now. Places are going fast but our aim is to contact you in May/June and ask for payment and somehow fit everyone in. Basically, if I don’t fill the 14 seat minibus, I lose money so aiming to get 14 bums on seats for each trip and at that point you buy your airtickets.
2021 bookings (we are aiming to run 2 trips: April & September)
- Kevin Noble / Peter Noble / Ray Webb,
- Stephanie Sears
- Freda Sedgwick
- Fergus McVey plus 1
- Stephanie Goffe / Alexander Goffe / Karl Gimblett / Julie Gimblett / Stephanie Wainwright,
- Harry Nowill
- Russell McCleave and spouse
- Jenny McDougall / Gregory McDougall
- Martin Stuffins
- Miles & Jeremy Colbeck
- Chris Davies
- Sarah Curtis
- Nick Williams(Sept1920)
- Paul Cable & Roger Markham
- Darren Lewis / Laura Williams
- Angela and Paul Whenman
- Angela Richter & Peter Shields
- Brooke Nichols & Jason Aldridge
- Gemma & Adam Taylor
- Alan Cartright plus Charlotte
- Craig Holdstock
- Henry Tenby
- Neil Campbell
- Ed/Nick Combes
- Sam Bunce
- Russell Pember
- David Noakes +3
- Rob Deeley plus Peter Shaw: deposit paid.
- Mike & Annetta Barrow
- Tim Anderson/Victoria Holloway