This Challenge is open to all not just left-hand drive vehicles. There is a not for profit car buying service for those who cannot buy a car easily and this includes all paperwork.
The route can be completed by almost any vehicle, and there is no distinct advantage to having 4 x 4 drive (except when others are stuck in the sand!). It is a condition of entry that all vehicles ending in the Gambia MUST be donated to the Charities Control Committee. The vehicles are auctioned and the funds raised are distributed to local worthy causes. This is the only legitimate way to ensure that the best price is obtained and that the funds are distributed appropriately. Nasty things do happen to those who might flout this requirement, because it is illegal to sell your vehicle privately.
There are security concerns in West Africa but these have eased lately and we aim to provide help through Mauritania, Mali, Senegal and Gambia with local contacts, who will meet you and can liaise with local authorities.
This year we are supporting https://www.legs4africa.org/deliver-a-leg/ for the first time and hope that all teams will find space for a prosthetic leg or two in their cars. NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY APPLY ON OR AFTER MARCH 31 2021. DO NOT APPLY NOW.
Please see the application form for more details.
Teams for 2020 were:
- Gordon Mackie / Andrew Mackie / Graham Mackie(G)
- Steve & Richard Sidebotham
- Seamus McHugh & Heather Nagel
- Cyrille Djankoff/Isabelle Blanchott(G)
- Daniel Church / Lawrence Church(Mauri)
- Philip & Christine Nash
- Hans Pfeiffer / Thomas Rothe
- Pamela Keck / Jareb Steines
- Andy & Bryan Rolfe
- Martin Smith & Jane Davison
- Gavin Pattison
- Faheem Kajee & Aisha Chottani
- Nick Merry/John Buttress
- Janis Berzins & Herberts Stamers
- Geoffrey & Andrew Ingram
- Hilary Nowill / Sarah Blewett