Feel free to stay an extra day in Kiev and see a totally lovely East European capital city. Ukraine is a visa free country for the EU and extremely good value. Most fly out Saturday and back on Tuesday, but feel free to stretch things either way.
Is it safe? In a word: Yes. Radiation levels are actually below those on the flight to Kiev and your guide will have his own Geiger counter, but do bring your own and the roadbook will explain the best ones and the price ranges. It is possible to see hotter areas if you wish but again, doses are within safe limits. The trip is not open to those under 18. We also require all travellers to wear long sleeve shirts and long trousers while in the zone.
The 2 day tour includes:
- All transport from Kiev to Chernobyl and around the zone.
- English speaking guide.
- A night at the Slavutich Hilton (sic) where the beer is almost free.
- Breakfasts lunches and supper in the zone, lunches at the Nuclear Power Plant canteen.
- Your flight to Kiev
- Airport transfers (about 2 Euros on the airport bus)
- Your accommodation in Kiev. We suggest the bizzare Hotel Salyut from where your trip will begin.
Dates are Sept 15 & 16 2019/13/14 Sept 2020. Price is £300. The 2018 guys did a live control room but in this is ‘fingers crossed’ for future tours as access is never guaranteed.
Schedule: You fly to Kiev Borispol on the Saturday and get the airbus into town and a metro to Hotel Salyut (or Salute: I prefer the first name). We will provide you with a roadbook with full information nearer the time.
On Sunday the minibus will pick you up at 7.30am and from now on til Monday night, all your meals and accommodation are covered in the fee. The schedule will vary and the choice of sites in the zone is up to you, but all will want to visit a reactor in run down and reactor 4, and Pripyat. Then the Duga 3 radar facility. Hotel in Slavutich on Sunday night and Monday eve return to Hotel Salyut. Fly Tuesday or whenever you like. No visas needed for EU citizens.
NOTE: 2019 sold out but fill in the form (and send no money now) for our 2020 September trip .
Sept 2019 bookings:
- Chris Adams / Caroline Adams
- Tony Oakey / Lorraine Smith
- Mick Elsey / Cath Elsey / Gordon Macpherson / Linda Farquharson
- Frank Henderson / Peter Clarke
- Brett Jones /Rick Jones
- Caroline Lake /Andy Lake
Sept 2020 bookings (we are aiming to run 2 trips in 2020):
- Kevin Noble / Peter Noble / Ray Webb,
- Stephanie Goffe / Alexander Goffe / Karl Gimblett / Julie Gimblett / Stephanie Wainwright,
- Harry Nowill
- Jenny McDougall / Gregory McDougall
- Rick Jones / Brett Jones
- Martin Stuffins
- Chris Davies
- Darren Lewis / Laura Williams