The Dakhla Challenge (leaving 18 Oct 2013 and April 11th 2014,first night in Calais) aims to traverse Morocco off piste crossing the Atlas and heading out into the desert camping under the stars. While going offpiste is usually not for the faint hearted, the group approach allows the Good Samaritan spirit in us all to help teams in trouble and teams assemble at the Challenge hotel in Tarifa, included in your fee, allowing you to meet fellow Teams and get organised into groups for Morocco.
You will be provided with a roadbook penned by Sahara guru Chris Scott (www.sahara-overland.com) and the aim is to get to Dahkla using as little tarmac as possible. Bivi under the stars and the more inappropriate the car,the better.
All Bikes, cars or trucks welcome, whether 2WD or 4WD, but we suggest that each sub-group is composed of only 2WD or 4WD. The reason is that the 4WD routes are too tough for 2WDs and 2WDs will only slow the 4WDs down. The 2 WDs can use the routes in the roadbook which are all passable while the 4WDs can use tougher routes in Sahara Overland which is the hardback bible mailed to all teams. We also suggest that every team carries GPS and knows how to use it and recharge it! Hopefully, you'll manage to keep your vehicle in one piece and will return home with it.
Fes may be your first night in Morocco, and then you're off into the Atlas mountains via the stunning Todra gorges with an R&R day or three in Marrakech.
There are 2 options, 1st being to take 2 weeks or ideally 3 and get to the finishing line at Dahkla, selling the car and flying home. You will need an internal flight to Casablanca then the Royal Air Maroc flight to Heathrow airport. There is also a Friday and Monday flight to Las Palmas with onward connections to the UK. Option 2 is to drive home but allow more than 2 weeks as it is a long way back to the UK. No need to go all the way to Dakhla if driving home. Some teams dispose of their cars in S spain and fly home from Malaga.
You sell your car in the no mans land on the Mauritanian border and part of the proceeds you may wish to pass to our Dakhla organisor to compensate for their time in finding a buyer for you. There is no need to use their services if you wish to go it alone. See the website of Freya and Colin, our partners in Dakhla. http://www.ambienceofdakhla.com/
We go every Easter, and every autumn (first night at a hotel in Calais) The weather is good for camping in Morocco at this time of year and there are 2 bank holidays to use up over Easter,thus saving your holiday allowance. Winter is too cold and summer too hot. The fee is £250 per car and for your fee you get:
•Chris Scott Sahara Overland book. RRP £20.
•One paperback issue book by a previous participant.
•Exclusive PDC 'road-book' including guidance notes plus phone numbers of all other participants.
•Official PDC car stickers and entry numbers.
•Two nights accommodation for 2 people, half board in Tarifa in Southern Spain.
•Support on the Morocco/Mauritania border, where your car can be sold with you deciding what to do with the cash.
•Behind the scenes administration to try and smooth passage through Morocco(no guarantees of success, however!)
•Behind the scenes international liaison with partners and coordinators that allow this event to take place.
•Web site listing and Publicity.
•Inclusion within the formal lists of Participants that are issued to the Officials of some of the countries en route.
Current list of entrants
Entrants of the past
- 3Blue bullet - Swedish team - Patrick Soderquist - Chris johansson - Saab 900 coupe
- 3Desert Charger - Graham Duncan - Don Whitehead -
- 3Frazzle Rock - Al Robinson - George Klepp -
- 3Hampshire Hogs - Barry Woodward - Neil / James Woodward - Piglet (Ford Fiesta)
- 3load of bull - grahame stanley - karl macdonald - land rover
- 3Sand Doom - Gavin Toon - Durand Gunn - Suzuki Vitara Soft Top
- 3The Hairy Lemons - Martin Edwards - Paul Charrington -
- 3Yorkshire Puddings - Charles Moran - Richard Vann+Rob Vaughan - Super Trooper
- Amani - Jim Butler - David Butler - Landy 90
- Berties Boys - Rob Tupman - James Harbottle -
- Betty Swollocks - Biggles, - Gypsy Ged, Rob Duck, Sluggy, Norx, Pelican Pete -
- Cheap as Chips - Gordon Downie - James Dwyer - Emma (Ford Maverick)
- Cunning stunts - John Reeves - Terry Dunstan, Mark Wheeler - Geoff 3
- Desert Rats - David Hensher - Jane Hensher -
- Frome Where - Mark Thornley - Beth Thornley -
- HONEY BADGERS - Kelly Wetherington - Thomas Ruesch - Honey Badger
- Its a long way to Tipperary - Hugo Deasy - Thomas Ponsonby -
- Lost In France - Pete Winslow - Chris Jaye -
- Mary Hinge - Ron Pattenden - Joolz Smith, Mandy Smith -
- No Worries - Jens Aas - T.B.D -
- Scooby Doo - Andrew Fowler - Eliza-Jane Fowler - Scooby Doo
- Scrappage Scheme Survivors - Chris Hodkin - Tom Gardner - The Camel's Hoof
- Team Millie - XXXXXXX - YYYYYYY -
- Team Steam - Barry Johnson - Nige Winstone + Richard Burton - Citroen ZX 1.9 td sx
- The Budgie Smugglers - Mark Emerton - David Baileff - Marco the Polo
- The Hose Bs - David Henderson - Jim Holdsworth - The Paj
- Three Men In A Car... - Nigel Byrne - Robin Humphris & Ian Johnson - Mercedes 190E
- To be decided. - Mark Linkins - Edd Linkins -
- Two X-Truckers & Mid-Life Crisis - Adam Royds - Simon Lawrence - Paula
- twospanners - Simon Jenner - Andy Bennett -
- Unhinged - Stephen Martin - Dougie Martin - Dora
- Upside Downs - Thomas Hughes - Daniel O'Malley -
- YOLO - Charles Fowler - Thomas Gannon -